It’s that magical time of the year – a perfect time to share your love in a box!
At Occupational Therapy Centre for Children, we put the fun in FUNctional, with skilled services created to improve independence, cultivate a positive sense of self and develop skills for children to participate appropriately in their daily life activities.
Driven by the simple belief that the privilege of giving is about making a difference and that EVERYONE can make a difference with a little love in a box. Occupational Therapy Centre for Children’s Love in A Box charity campaign wishes to collect and distribute gift packages to children in orphanages in the Tlokweng area. The project will be piloted this Christmas. However there are hopes of implementing it more broadly across Botswana throughout the years to come.
Join in the spirit of giving and see your impact in person! No matter how good it will feel for a child to receive your box, it will feel even better to wrap, fill and donate it.
What You Can Do
To get involved, grab an empty shoebox from your closet or collect one from Occupational Therapy Centre for Children or The Honeycomb Hub. Once you have the box, be creative and decorate it making sure to wrap the lid and bottom separately so the box can still be opened for safety inspections. Sharing your love in the box can be easily accomplished with putting together little new/unused gender and age-appropriate luxuries and basic need items, including a friendly little note. We request that the value of the contents of your shoebox be around P250 to P300 and that you indicate the child your package would be most suitable for, that is, Girl or Boy from the age group of 2 to 6, 7 to 11 or 12 to 15.
If you are not able to go out yourself and assemble a personalized package, you can “Pledge a box” by donating P300 and our team will shop and fill the box for you.
Gift packages and Pledges need to be dropped off at either one of our central drop off points no later than the 20th December 2017.
Drop off points:
• Occupational Therapy Centre for Children, Village Recreational Centre, Unit 1
Contact Office: 3918812
• The Honeycomb Hub, Plot 68294, Unit 2, Phakalane (opposite Aluminum 2000
Contact Office: 75935900 | Phillida: 71764822
Occupational Therapy Centre for Children will run a free “FUN DECORATION” craft afternoon, on the Saturday 2nd of December from 12.30pm to 14.00pm and Wednesday the 6th of December from 14:00pm to 15.00pm, – where children can come and decorate their shoebox gifts at the center. So save the date and let’s have fun decorating our shoeboxes together.
Something fun – Toys
– Soft toy
– Interactive toy
– Educational games, play cards, board games
– Creative toy
Something personal – Personal care items
– Soap, wash cloth & body lotion
– Shampoo & conditioner
– Toothbrush & toothpaste
– Hairbrush / comb
– Sanitary pads/tampons & deodorant
– Lip balm
– Emery board/nail clippers
Something practical – educational supplies
– Crafts & activities
– Crayons /stationery
– Picture book / coloring book / reading book / blank journal / notebooks
Something cute and comfy – shoes, clothing and accessories
– An outfit of clothing
– Socks/ underwear, scarf
– A hat / hair accessories / bowtie
– Sunglasses / bracelet / wrist watch
Something sweet – Note
– Christmas card / personal note /photo/ message of support
– Gift card
The Love In A Box Project asks that you DO NOT include for safety reasons:
– Candy, sweets or chocolates
– Food, snacks and drink mixes (powdered or liquid)
– Used items or anything damaged, open or unpackaged
– Medications or vitamins
– Candles, foundation, concealers
– Religious items
– War or army related items e.g. toys guns and knives
– Any items not safe for a nominated recipient’s age group e.g. razors, breakable items
Love in a Box is a great initiative and we hope you will get involved. If you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to give us a ring. Let’s make this Christmas a happy one for everyone with a little love in a box.
This post has been provided by Alice Crosbie an Occupational Therapist at OT 4 Kidz.
Tel: +267 391 8812
Occupational Therapy Centre for Children, Village Recreational Centre, Unit 1
- December Holiday Activities Roundup 2022 - 30/11/2022
- It’s Time to Dust Off Your Dreams, Mama - 16/09/2022
- September Family-Friendly Events - 29/08/2022